From 13 December, top pieces from the Brücke Museum collection in Berlin will be on display in the Groninger Museum. The exhibition, which is to be held in the Ploeg pavilion of the museum, features 150 works of art, to include paintings, drawings, graphic art and sculptures by Brücke members Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Erich Heckel, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff, Fritz Bleyl, Max Pechstein, Emil Nolde, Cuno Amiet and Otto Mueller.
The Brücke artist group was established in 1905 in Dresden and still is considered as one of the most important mainstays in the foundation of Northern European Expressionism. The rapid and schematic images and expressive colours, usually in contrasting colour combinations, are typical of Brücke Expressionism. Subjects of the Brücke artists included cityscapes, landscapes and variety theatre. The collective was dissolved in 1913, after which the artists went their separate ways.
In the 1930s, the work by Brücke members was labelled as degenerate art by the National Socialist regime. In the 1920s, some of the painters of the De Ploeg artists’ collective were inspired by the Brücke Expressionism. The exhibition will be on display until 11 April 2010.